Today, companies cannot afford to ignore social media. It is nearly everywhere and used by nearly everyone. Although customers can – and do – use these social platforms to successfully promote their purchases and rave about your company for all to see, it is also a place for customers to vent their frustrations, which could negatively impact business.
How are you promoting your business and strengthening customer engagement through social media? If you’re not too sure, check out these 15 essential statistics centered on social media, the Internet and mobile devices. These figures stress the need for companies to maintain a strong, hyper-connected contact center involving a variety of platforms.
- Each day, Facebook users spend 10.5 billion minutes (almost 20,000 years) online on the social network
- An average of 3.2 billion Facebook likes and comments are posted every day
- 20 percent of Facebook users have purchased something because of ads or comments they saw there
- More than half of active Twitter users follow companies, brands or products on social networks
- 79 percent of U.S. Twitter users are more like to recommend brands they follow
- 67 percent of U.S. Twitter users are more likely to buy from brands they follow
- There are more devices connected to the Internet than there are people on Earth
- Every minute of the day, $272,000 is spent by consumers online
- 70 percent of adult social networkers shop online
- 79 percent of online shoppers spend 50 percent of their online shopping time researching products
- Only 35 percent of consumer comments on Facebook Pages are compliments (A great reason for you to knock it out of the park when it comes to your customer engagement strategy)
- Mobile now accounts for 10 percent of internet usage worldwide
- 39 percent of instances where a consumer walks out of a store without buying were influenced by smartphones
- QR code scans increased 300 percent in 2011 compared to 2010
- There are over 1.2 billion people accessing the Web via mobile
As a provider of innovative hosted call center offerings and digital customer service solutions, we at Vocalcom are always interested in the role social media plays within the contact center and customer engagement space as well as the impact it has in embracing new industry strategies. Are these usage statistics driving your call center operations?